Saturday, November 17, 2007

San Andreas-






Ha. i am in this beautiful town named san andreas. i live 20 paces from the lake- i wake up at 6 30 in the morning regularly. funny huh? today i slept in till 7:15. (i hate when people say that). but i work at 8 in the morning at the ecological park mon-fri. i am staying with this compleatly awesome family. my host mom and dad and thier 3 daughters. 16, 14 and 8 years old. they are rad! they dont speak any english except cool, les-go! and excuse me. its crazy because im learning tons of spansish every second. i know 4 other people that speak english in the whole town. the guy Mataio who runs the volunteer program, and 3 other volunteers. Its so weird to not be able to understand anyone. im learning alot though. I have a spanish teacher named edwin. we have class by the lake every day for 2 hours. i pay him about 3 dollars and hour. Its private lessons so its really easy to catch on. its so fun! i love it here. i never understood how people stay with a family who doesn´t speak english, but somehow it works out. I learned the word for food really quickly. my host mom makes me breakfast lunch and dinner. i pay her 75$ a week for food and my own room with a door that opens to a view of the lake. its crazy. i love it.

hopefully i can get my pics to work. It was funny. the very first person i met here was my taxi driver, and he asked me ¿de donde? i told him estados unidos, utah, and he asked me if i was mormona. I said si, and he said ´mismo´ which means same. he said there are muchos mormonas in san andreas.

um, pictures are uploading right now, but i have no idea which ones they are. i couldn´t open the pictures so i just guessed. i think there will be one of my neiborhood pigs, one or 2 of the lake, the three girls i live with and maybe one of my room. we´ll see. But im really happy here. i feel good. my host mom makes really amaizing food. i haven´t eaten the same thing twice and ive eaten 10 meals already. my host dad fishes 2 times a week, and is also a teacher. but its vacation time for 3 months right now. till jan. so everone is just relaxing all day. its really fun. the streets are really steep and they are made out of rocks, so when it rains its really slippery. its kinda scary, but i get a good workout about 3 times a day walking back and forth from the eco park and the library that i also help with at nights. Any way.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

yes. i knew you were blogging right now. what in the world?? i think you will do more and learn more spanish in the 2 weeks you are there, then in the whole time we are in peace corps and i wish i was kidding. how is it?? that is so awesome!! how did you find out about all of this?? and one more thing.. you can have as many bunnies as you want, i was going to get you one anyway from thrifties, but now you can just have some of mine.

miss you bud
ashbobash

Laurie Bingham said...

sar,
those pictures are so cool! i am glad that you are having such a fun time...it almost sounds like you won't be coming home for a while. I am glad that you found some volunteer work. I miss you!

Laurie Bingham said...

p.s.- who is the man on the dock? your spanish teacher? smoking a cig?

mare said...

oh suri. course you can still sleep with us. the only difference now will be you have to take a shift breastfeeding. (weird) (shrug)

wow! i can't believe all the progress you've made-- how did you do all these thingzz? Sounds like you will be living there for quite some time. You're family is cute. How does one get a host family? I'm proud of you buddy-- you sound real real smart-- you're just a learnin and learnin.

love you so muchand can't wait till christmas

Jill said...

sar i'm looking at your blog. now and other times too. :)
those pictures are beautiful (the dock is so old & rad) i'm so amazed at what you're doing. i can't wait to hear you speak spanish!
love & be safe.
jill

Jill said...

hi sar. that is hilarious about your dreams. learning a new language must be stirring up your mind to old memories! please bless you were not dreaming of me planning a hs reunion - because that may be a reality.
we are going to be in nyc for at least another year & a half. but we don't know for sure what we'll be doing after that. we *love* it back east - it has been such a great adventure. you really should move here.
chao my dear!
jill

holly jo said...

I am in love with you! Your adventure sounds nothing less than absolutely perfect...living with a host fam and working at an eco sight? I feel bad to say that I miss you. Do you think you will still come home in December? Nat moved out and Phil moved in. Trailer moved out too. Mo has a boyfriend, I think Jesse moved to Orem, he hasn't been around for a couple weeks. I finally got a job. You seem so happy! It is nice that you can still make me happy even when you are 1000 miles away. kiss on the face, holly jo