Monday, November 12, 2007

I left Belize. sad but happy

These pictures are of me and ash and todd at the shamaiakdj ruins in belize. (i made that name up) It was a good way to end my time with them. The ruins were beautiful. its cool how much easier it is to imagine ancient people when you are standing in their lands.





I am in Florez right now, i went to Tikal yesterday morning at 3:00 am. It seems not worth it-but it is. We hiked up this long trail in the pitch dark. if there was any moon light it was blocked by the trees. so we were near the back of this group of 30 people, and my friend ben had to go to the bathroom so we got behind the group. It was just us 3 on a dark path in the jungle. i was kinda scared but then this loud growling animal started roaring and my heart kinda stopped for a while. I thought it was a jaguar and that we would die. I remembered my ipod had a bright light so i used it as a flashlight. there was a fork in the trail, and luckly i saw a glimmer from someones flashlight and we caught up after about 5 minutes. it was scary. I was too scared to talk about the roaring animal until we were with the group, and i asked the boys "what the h was that animal", and they said it was the howler monkey. Which i should have known because i´ve heard one before, but in the middle of the jungle i didn´t remember.

The sunrise was crazy. We sat in silence for 40 minutes and watched and listened as the animals and birds started waking up. Turns out we were on one of the biggest temples in tikal, and had a view of 5 other ruins. The ruins are surrounded by thousands of trees, and many of the ruins are still just mounds of earth with grass and trees on them. We had a tour of the main temples and had some time to walk around on our own. I went to some living quarters and to a musium that had pottery and jewelry that they continue to find. they have the skeleton of one of the kings too. It was rad. I think i´ll go again before i head out of this area.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

yes. you are alive! i was so happy to hear from you! i loved the blog. loved it. seerus? i miss you already. i cried when you left. i just put my head in todds lap and let a few tears out, then i thought it might get wierd. that was like a movie waving to you out the back of the car. ha. i love it. love you bud,
ashli

Laurie Bingham said...

SAr,
sorry your name looks weird, but i will just follow Mare's rule: once it's typed there's no turning back. Your pictures look so awesome! i am so jealous of you right now. Cali left me a message on my phone, so i started looking through Hawaii pictures, and it brought back some good memories...my fat day memories...anyways, it was fun to remember such good times! Be safe.

I Love Good Grub said...

Howler monkey? I wish I could hear what one would sound like. San Fran was so fun! Aubs is doing good and it was so good to be with her. Thanks for liking my pictures!

mare said...

Sari--

I'm so sad you left ash and todd. I felt as though I was with you guys just hanging on to every blogging word. I'm glad you're safe though. That hike sounded real real scary. Monkeys are strange animals when you think about it. I wish I were there to see those ruins and sunset in your adventures. You take real nice pictures. I mean that from the old ticker.

I dare you to kiss a man there (have you already kissed a man there?)

p.s. I'm so pleased to see little larry following my rule. what a sweetie

Unknown said...

sar,
i wanted to tell you something real quick, i was going to wait and tell you a more creative way...but GUESS WHO HAD BABIES????

THE CREEPY RABBIT!!! i opened up the plastic and to my utter delight...10!! TEN! rabbit pictures.hahahaha. i was laughing so hard.

ps rubin got in the sticky gecko death trap. it was a nightmare. wish you could have been there.

love you

holly jo said...

Well what the hell...Hello remember Logan! I love you cool blog thing. have fun in Guat!