Monday, December 3, 2007

"The most beautiful lake it the world"




Im in Lago de Atitlan. Its a huge lake surrounded by 30 volcanoes. the lake is actually a colapsed volcano. its really nice. there are about 15 little cities around the lake, most of which you can only get to by boat. so its calm. no cars or planes. most of the people are miyan. i cant spell that word i guess. So the other night i was sleeping in my dorm and i woke up at 4 am, and i heard a deep rumbling sound coming from the mountains, (which are all volcanos). it would rumble and then stop for 30 seconds and then rumble again. sometimes it would be more frequent than 30 seconds. i spent 20 min trying to figure out what the noise was, then i concluded that it was a volcano preparing for eruption. Which sucks because the only way out of Santa Cruz is by boat or hiking over the mountain. so either way i´m dead. there are no boats till 6:30, and then when everyone wakes up and hears the volcano, theres no way im going to get a seat on a boat. So i decided i should probably write a little bit in my journal so that i would be the famous person who died who wrote an account of the erruption. then i decided i would go wake up my friend Ben who was sleeping in the same dorm as me, and we both laid there in his bed trying to figure it out. i was scared. ben was worried as well, but i decided if i die i might as well die with someone else. it was comforting. so that morning ben said he was going to figure it out, and a few minutes later he came and told me it was avacados falling on tin roofs up in the myian village. He-he. i was glad. i didn´t even feel stupid though, because ben was scared too. what a baby.

Heres a fun story. i was in san andreas, and in the morning i was walking by the same 2 dogs that bark at me every day. This day though, they were especially upset at me. so i picked up a rock and threw it, but they didnt care, which is not that normal, and they continued charging me. so i felt scared and bent down to pick up another rock and as i did so, a third dog ran out of his house and bit my calve. i kinda yelled and the owner of the dog ran out and shewed his stupid dog away. i looked at the bite, and was suprized at how not bad it was. it drew blood, but didn{t go too deep. so i said "rabies?...es tu´s perro rabinous?" and the man just stared out at the lake. it was weird. and then it was funny. Late that night, me and this other girl who is also a volenteer were walking home from the most absurd beauty pagent i´ve ever seen, (not that ive seen many, but now i understand ash´s non-obsesion with belizian beauty pagents) There were only 4 contestants and it lasted 5 hours. it was so awful. so we turned the corner onto a quiet little road, and I saw this guy pointing a silver gun at the sky. he directly put the gun in his pants and walked up to us. He wispered "denero... denero". my friend said no, and started to walk around him and he grabbed her neck. I freaked out and yelled "get your hands off her!" and he backed off for a sec and put his finger up to his lips to tell me to be quiet. so then he started at her again and i yelled louder and he scurried away like a little puppy. It was weird. So last week i got bit by a dog and mugged at gunpoint the same day. I laughed about it later that night, and when i told my host family they were sad that both those things happened to me, but assured me that the gun was not real. which i kinda figured. But we all had a good laugh about it. Any way.

now i am in this earthy little town full of alternitive medicine-type-people." its a compleate delight. there are yoga and meditation classes all day long every day. today i went to a meta physics class and learned about lucid dreams and other states of altered conshusness. (that was clearly mis-spelled.) It was interesting.
tomorrow im doing a course in emotional blah blah therapy. i cant remember the words. but im excited to see what its all about. so im real happy here. there is a ton to explore. i started a water fast today. and i will try to do it for 3 days if not more. My body is ready for a clense and plus im running out of money. adios

Note: i have no idea which pics i uploaded. im pretty sure there is one of my bite, but it is a week old so its all healed up, and there is one of the lake for sure, but the third is a wild card. i just chose it, so hopefully its nothing to vulgar.

10 comments:

Laurie Bingham said...

Oh Sari,
I feel so happy that no matter where you go, something awkward is bound to happen. I love it! and I miss you. Colby went skiing up in Tony Grove last weekend and ran into.....guess...yes...Mark. Random, huh? I ran into Brad and Josh today up on campus. IT was the first time I've seen them on campus. I got to talk to Josh for a while. I hope you will continue to be safe. Hopefull I will see you soon?!
Love you,

ty andrews said...

your posts are splendid. your pictures are so pretty. i'm sorry i haven't returned your books to the library. i never knew logan had one other than the one on campus. but i'll pay for all of them. promise.

mare said...

oh little SarI

Imiss you today. I'm so sad you got bit by a dog. I'm glad you aren't ravenous though. cutie. I laughed real hard at the avocado volcano. Although I can hear your parents' disappointment at spending your last living moments in the bed of a stranger. I'm glad though. (don't tell Judith)
That place looks like a true delight.
I'm proud of you for beating the mugger. what a fool.

'Mare'y Christmas

Jill said...

pretty pretty pictures sar. that lake town with volcanoes sounds so amazing.
sar you need to eat okay? don't fast for too long.
love you much.

Unknown said...

oh sar,
i've got a nine milimeter.

because of the law, i have to conceal it ...but if you...

we miss you. thank you for the wierd stories. i wish we were going to guatamala, but i don't know if it will happen.

more later
bash

holly jo said...

how did you know I have a blog? I suppose I am going to have to figure out how to work these things. I am excited to see YOU!

holly jo said...

you get home so soon. sorry you have to leave guat, but get the hell home!

iMzOOL said...

Hi Sara.

I am so glad you have this blog so I can hear all the weird stuff you are doing--and so you will never forget them. Thanks for the great laughs. Am I going to get to see you at Christmas? When do you come home?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Sara,

I've been getting updates on you from Large for years now. Now, I will go straight to the source. I tried to post yesterday to wish you a Happy Lame Day, but unfortunately it got lost in Ciber Space. I like to think I recruited yet another unknowing person to Lame Day awareness. I agree with Large, I'm glad to know that awkwardness is always present. I wish I could talk to you, and updat you on 4 years worth of awkward happenings. I've been keeping track, though, and I'll tell you all about them. Well, happy lame day. Large has my e-mail address, when you get back to the states e-mail me. Or, when I'm next in central america, I'll get a boat and come find you. Oh, sorry it says Neighbor Jane Payne commented, I'm on my mom's computer and that is her blog.

Love, Cali Payne

Unknown said...

sar, thanks so so sosososo much for getting that stuff! i can't get the email to reply, but don't get anything else, that's perfect. you are the best! can't wait to see you!
love you
ashtrash